I’ve got more than 4 months to go, but I thought I would share the two lists I’ve started about the things I will and won’t miss about working. So far, I have more on the “won’t miss” list, but I think you will see that they things on the “will miss” list are pretty rich and meaningful:
- Monthly budget meetings / sales forecasts / profit estimates
- Meetings where people cover the same info covered in another meeting
- MegaCorp culture where everyone feels they need permission to do anything
- Writing performance reviews / leading development plan discussions
- Getting annual performance reviews / development plan discussions
- Early morning or late at night conferences with international subsidiaries
- Catching emails & calls during vacations, days off, or family time
- Drinking more caffeine than I need – to stay awake in afternoon
- Conference/video meeting where technology that doesn’t work
- Travel freezes when you are in the middle of a project
- Not being able to backfill roles on your team when people leave
- Corporate nonsense that comes from the power MegaCorp feels it has over people
- Headcount / corporate layoff planning – (just finished a round of that)
- Going out to lunch with team mates – we do this a lot
- Catching up with people about their weekend / travel plans
- Working with young people joining the company
- Giving presentations to groups that make me feel “important”
- Meeting people with different backgrounds; from around the world
- Tacking vacation days onto International business trips
The friendships you make at work are the thing that you cannot easily fit into the equation of leaving the workplace. I will need to be better about keeping up with people than I have in the past, or find new social structures to get involved in where I can meet new friends.
Money, time, independence and status are all pretty worthless without anyone to share them with. It’s a challenge all of us will face when we make the “leap” – regardless of age when we do it.
What’s on your “Miss” and “Won’t Miss” lists?
Image Credit: Pixabay