On Reddit recently, there was a post in the Financial Independence thread that asked Redditors what retirement “hobbies scream rich people?” That is, what activities signal that someone has a surplus of both time and money? I thought it was an interesting question and relevant to share because I noticed that a lot of the hobbies can be enjoyed by many people at a variety of price points.
Here is the aggregated list – in the order that Redditors ‘upvoted’ the responses.
- Country Club / Golf Club Memberships
- Real Estate Investing
- Sports Cars / Motorsports Hobby
- Horse Breeding / Stables / Polo
- Vintage Car Collecting / Restoration
- Adventure / Social Service Tourism
- Sailing / Yachting
- Angel Investing
- Performing Arts Boards
- Climbing / International Summits
- Beach House / ‘Summering’
- Collecting Art
- Private Aircraft / Pilot
- Family Philanthropy / Foundation
- (Day Drinking / Drugs). 😉
Assuming that ‘Rich People’ have the time and money to get involved in whatever activities they want, I’d look at this list as a great source of inspiration for ideas of things to get involved in retirement. Regardless of the size of your retirement nest egg, anyone could get involved in many of these activities – at different price points.
What might you add to the list? What are more affordable ways to ‘twist’ some of these activities?
Image Credit: Pixabay