As we got ready for vacation this month, I ordered a new pair of walking shoes. As many readers know, I try to walk or run at least 12,000 steps a day and have averaged more than that number since I retired about three and a half years ago. That’s about 4.5 million steps a year and quite a few pairs of shoes!
Vacation days are usually relatively high step count days, but not always. Since I track (on my phone) how many steps I have every day, I averaged out how many steps I’ve taken on the bigger trips we’ve taken over the last few years.
I’m amazed at how different each of the trips are:
- 19.5K – Tokyo/Kyoto, 2016
- 18.5K – Walt Disney World, 2016
- 16.8K – Chicago, 2017
- 15.5K – Los Angeles, 2019
- 15.1K – New Orleans / Cruise, 2019
- 14.7K – Miami / Cruise, 2018
- 12.0K – Cabo San Lucas, 2017
- 10.7K – Holy Land/Petra, 2018
- 10.7K – England/Scotland
- 9.4K – Tennessee/NC, 2017
- 8.4K – San Fran/Wine Country, 2016
- 6.7K – Door County WI, 2016
(Our daily record is 35K steps this past July at Disneyland in California!)
This year’s trip will probably be in the middle of these trips as far as walking goes. While we’ll walk a lot through European Cities, we have also had a number of driving days and stops in smaller cities where less walking happened.
I’m sure my new shoes will be well-worn by the time we get back!
What’s the most walking that you have ever done on a trip?
Image Credit: Pixabay