I was excited earlier this week to see that my recent article on the added everyday cost to operate our SUV compared with a less plush ‘sensible sedan’ was recognized as one of the RockStarFinance.com’s ‘Wednesday Hits’.
It wasn’t the first time that one of my articles had been linked to by the good folks at Rock Star, and I don’t know how exactly they came across it, but it is exciting to see the sudden rush of new visitors to the Mr. Fire Station with many of them commenting and signing up to be followers.
As I thought about the Rock Star site – which I highly recommend as a great source for FIRE / Personal Finance information – I thought about how unexpectedly unusual the title of the site is. After all, who is perhaps WORSE with their money than ROCK STARS? They sing about making lots of money the ‘easy way’ and then wasting it all on good times.
I’ve always thought it curious that people cheer on these folks who put so little conviction into good personal finance habits. Jimmy Buffet is a perfect example. He sings about people not liking their jobs and celebrates wasting money as a badge of honor – even though he is one of the richest musicians in Margaritaville …!
- Its Five O’Clock Somewhere – “Getting paid but the hour, and older by the minute. My boss just pushed me over the limit.”
- A Pirate Looks At Forty – “I made enough money to buy Miami, but I pissed it away so fast. Never meant to last, never meant to last.”
Similarly, Joe Walsh of the Eagles has also made a career of making a mockery of his wasteful spending and poor personal finance habits …
- Life’s Been Good – “I have a mansion but forget the price. Ain’t never been there, they tell me it’s nice. I live in hotels, tear out the walls. I have accountants, pay for it all. They say I’m crazy but I have a have a good time.”
Dire Straits are another band who recognize the easy money of the rock star world, but it’s doubtful they considered writing songs about savings rates, index funds, or tax-advantaged investments …
- Money For Nothing – “Now, that ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it. You play the guitar on the MTV. That ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it. Money for nothin’ and your chicks for free.”
Country artists like Willie Nelson are equally famous for their spendthrift ways. Twenty-five years ago, Nelson recorded “The IRS Tapes: Who’ll Buy My Memories?” to help payoff his unpaid taxes to the Federal Government.
Want to read more? Here’s a link to 18 Musicians Who Went Bankrupt . I’m sure 18 is a very modest amount of the many rock stars who have missed the ironically titled, but great learning available at RockStarFinance.com! 🙂
3 thoughts on “FIRE Station Fun – Not-So Rock Star Finance!”
LikeLiked by 1 person
I hope you’re geared up for a beautiful St. Paul summer!
As you probably know, I have an interview series called the “Christopher Guest Post” in which I ask bloggers a series of questions. I give you lots of opportunities to create backlinks and most interviewees get 500 to 1000 referrals / clicks in the first few days.
If you’re interested, I’ve attached the invitation to this email. Below is a list of past interviewees and a link to their interview.
– *The Physician Philosopher* – *Wealth Well Done* – *Mad Fientist* – *Financial Panther* – *Route to Retire* – *Mr. Crazy Kicks* – *Miss Bonnie MD* – *She Picks Up Pennies* – *Go Curry Cracker* – *Abandoned Cubicle* – *Apathy Ends* – *Root of Good* – *Retire by 40* – *Chief Mom Officer* – *Jim Wang of Wallet Hacks* – *Our Next Life* – *Crispy Doc* – *Distilled Dollar* – *Coach Carson* – *Think Save Retire* – *Financially Alert* – *Life of a Med Student* – *The Wall Street Physician* – *Dads Dollars Debts* – *Full Time Finance* – *From Cents to Retirement* – *Gen Y Finance Guy* – *Get Money Got Money* – *Mr. Tako Escapes* – *My Money Wizard* – *Senior Resident* – *Big Law Investor* – *Ten Factorial Rocks* – *Family Money Plan* – *My Money Wizard* – *ESI Money * – *The Green Swan* – *Smart Money MD* – *The Retirement Manifesto * – *J.L. Collins * – *Johnny K. Johnson * – *Early Retirement Now! * – *Tawcan * – *Son of a Doctor * – *The Happy Philosopher * – *Future Proof MD * – *Dr. Wise Money * – *The White Coat Investor * – *Mr. 1500 of 1500 Days *
Thanks for considering!
Yes – happy to do it. I’ll look for the email!